Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton is breathing much easier today after Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey told the nation that there would be no request for criminal charges being filed over her use of a private email server while Secretary of State.
But – Comey raised serious concern about Clinton’s judgment.
A woman who is wanting to be Commander-in-Chief was in Comey’s words, “extremely careless.”
National security may have been jeopardized by hostile actors on the world stage.
Read these statements from Comey’s address to the country and you make your own judgment about Clinton’s judgment in deciding to use a private email server:
- “Although we did not find clear evidence that Secretary Clinton or her colleagues intended to violate laws governing the handling of classified information, there is evidence that they were extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information.”
- “There is evidence to support a conclusion that any reasonable person in Secretary Clinton’s position, or in the position of those with whom she was corresponding about those matters, should have known that an unclassified system was no place for that conversation.”
- “None of these emails should have been on any kind of unclassified system, but their presence is especially concerning because all of these emails were housed on unclassified personal servers not even supported by full-time security staff, like those found at agencies and departments of the United States government — or even with a commercial email service like Gmail.”
- “Only a very small number of the emails containing classified information bore markings indicating the presence of classified information. But even if information is not marked ‘classified’ in an email, participants who know or should know that the subject matter is classified are still obligated to protect it.”
- “We do assess that hostile actors gained access to the private commercial email accounts of people with whom Secretary Clinton was in regular contact from her personal account. We also assess that Secretary Clinton’s use of a personal email domain was both known by a large number of people and readily apparent.”
- “She also used her personal email extensively while outside the United States, including sending and receiving work-related emails in the territory of sophisticated adversaries. Given that combination of factors, we assess it is possible that hostile actors gained access to Secretary Clinton’s personal email account.“
From the Cornfield, while I am not enamored with the presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, am uncertain about Libertarian Gary Johnson and a no on Green’s Jill Stein, this information is disturbing.
The lack of good judgment is a major downer and typifies the story line that that has swirled around Clinton for over three decades.
Making matters worse, Clinton, like her husband 20 years before, bold-faced lied to the American people. Clinton said no classified emails were ever sent or received on her private email server.
Not so, said Comey.
Instead of clearing a path to the White House, today’s pronouncement by the FBI muddies already political waters steeped in mire and muck.