Rockets Over the River

Dateline The Desert: Tonight I was privileged to view the 25th Annual Rockets Over the River along the Colorado River put on by the resorts and casinos in Laughlin, Nevada. This was the first of such celebrations since I arrived in the Desert and which I will enjoy many more.

From my position in the south parking lot of the Riverside Resort and Casino, the place that started it all, I was able to video the entire show. The video is rather long, but the show is worth it.

If you were not able to get out and view fireworks as we celebrate the 239th birthday of the US of A or because of the heat and dry conditions your locality did not set the “bombs bursting in air” this year, now is your chance to ooh, ah and clap.


Though from where I was I did not see what happened after the show. There were two sizable fires. The fireworks are launched from the old Pioneer Casino parking lot, which not accessible from the Laughlin side of the river. Two firetrucks were dispatched from Bullhead City, Arizona to put out and contain the blazes.

There have now been reports of 6-7 fires. Last information around 1 a.m. was that some may still be burning.

The firefighters did their duty, but were hampered somewhat by the wind which was blowing about 10 miles per hour. Compound that with the still 100-degree temperature and humidity at 20%.

Kudos to those who made this celebration such a success and to the firefighters who made sure all was well.

From the Cornfield, Happy Birthday, America!

Published by


I am Mark Ivy, a born and bred Hoosier. I am father to two wonderful sons, Dave and Kev, of whom I am very proud; two terrific daughters-in-law, Anna and Hailey; three beautiful granddaughters, Dylan, Alaina and Amelia. On May 9, 2017, my lung specialist hit me with the news I had maybe six months to live if the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the damage caused by the histoplasmosis described below, ran its normal course. I am now on hospice at home. Content and ready to cross over the river to the other side. On September 2, 2014, I was diagnosed with disseminated histoplasmosis, a fungal infection, discovered by a biopsy of my larynx. The infection is fatal if left untreated. For 2 1/2 years I lived under a death sentence being misdiagnosed with a non-specific bacterial infection which left my right lung a "dried up sponge" and non-functioning. I was aggressively treated for the infection with antifungals. The treatment ended October of 2015 and fortunately did not take two years. I suffer from chronic Horton's Syndrome. The effects vary widely causing various problems. Statistically, Horton's affects only 0.1% of the population. Major depression also attacks me regularly.

Leave a Reply